Search Posts

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Ask and Receive


I, looking for a space, perused the crowded lot.
He, sitting on the curb, held a tattered sign.
I wore slacks, pressed and clean.
He wore jeans, torn and greased.
I was running errands.
He was feeling hungry.
I had limited cash.
He had less than that.
I asked, “Would you like a burger?”
He answered, “Yes, I would.”
I inquired, “Fries with it?”
He replied, “I won’t eat them.”
I promised, “I’ll be right back.”
He requested, “I’d like sweet tea.” 
I headed to BK.
He waited for me.
I delivered to him.
He smiled at me.
I had slipped a buck in the bag before I returned.
He had slipped it in his pocket after I left.
I watched from my rearview mirror.
He ate while traffic moved forward.
I ran my errands, headed for home,
          and thought of him.
He asked directly for what he wanted, accepted nothing less,
          and was given something more.
I bought him lunch.
He taught me well.


Be enlightened!  ~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment