Search Posts

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Sacred Moments

It was an ordinary evening in May. With blue doggie-poop bags in hand, prepared, my friend and I took an after-dinner stroll with a canine, one expected to relieve herself, in tow. We headed for the short paved trail that meanders through a small wooded grove in Beverly Hills, Florida. We began an easy conversation about how our day, the third of my visit with her, had gone and what the rest of the week might bring.

The sudden stirring of a predator in low flight caught my attention and interrupted our ramblings. Startled, I questioned, “What was that?” A quick jerk of my head to the left, then right, then upward transported me from the tree-lined path I had trodden numerous times prior to an arborous sanctuary I had never entered before. I was captivated by the scene. My heart took a picture.

Spanish moss draped overhead from an umbrella-like configuration of branches, Mother Nature’s tresses against a twilight sky. Majestic and proud grandfather oaks held high, like trophies, three owls the size of cats. Limbs reached out to me like generous arms extending gifts of natural beauty, offering freely what no wealth could purchase. Fragrant pines surrendered their therapeutic aroma, and I inhaled deeply. My friend’s steps paused. The dog stood still. The owls, appearing dignified and regal, remained reverently hushed as if they too sensed the sacredness of the moment.

I relished the spectacularity and wordlessly asked, “What do you know, oh wise owls three? What do you see as you peer down from lofty heights with knowing eyes unblinking? Teach me your message.”

The sting of a mosquito’s bite and the jingle of the dog’s collar confirmed the transience of deep pleasure. It was time to continue our walk. As we headed back toward her home, my friend admitted, “If you were not with me, I would have been looking down at dog stuff. I would have missed this beauty.” 

Thinking of her words now makes me mindful of how much splendor we inadvertently deprive ourselves of regularly. Often, we allow routine to distract our attention away from the natural wonderment among us. We tend to be like moths to the flame of the proverbial candle we burn at both ends. We fail to look up from tending the tasks at hand. Daily, we blindly carry on unaware that there is a flitting wren whose melodic song will cease long before the din of Good Morning America. There is a rollicking child whose silent wish to romp with us will be outgrown in the blink of time’s eye. There is a setting sun whose orange flames will dissipate more quickly than those beneath the chicken we’re grilling.

It takes but a change of our perspective, a slight tilt of the head, a glance in the opposite direction, to be intrigued by beauty we had not noticed before. Take time to observe sacred moments, the fleeting ones.

Be enlightened!  ~ M

5 comments:

  1. The idea that a mere tilt of my head could take me to wonderland is so enchanting that I am afraid I will spend tomorrow looking as if I need a cervical collar, as I tilt first one way, then another. In my case, there is one thing I need to learn to do, tho; it is sort of a pre-tilt requirement: I need to slow down. I have the sorry habit of thinking I am in a hurry most of the time, when i am not. Should I try to tilt when rushing, I would likely walk into a wall. If I slow down, then I open my life to owls, yes, and cheshire cats, too, and maybe a flash of green. I just need to remember to tilt my head and see the world around me. Thank you.

    linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I welcome you again, Linda, and thank you for your comments.

    Your observation about the importance of slowing down is an astute one. When we travel through life with speed, what’s closest to us becomes a blur.

    Be enlightened! ~ M

    ReplyDelete
  3. namaste all over you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. .....this morning i am not wandering thru the verdure with blue doggie-offal baggies, but, rather, bent double in the "cat-closet," slotted-spoon in hand, scooping away in the litterboxes. There are no owls. There are, however, two little black and white faces, of varied design, watching me with great interest. They know the old stuff is being taken away, and they know new will be provided.
    These two furry little miscreants know they will have a bowl full of fresh water, bowls with food, and, best of all, love and play and comfort and safety.
    This morning, I am afraid, they are in better shape than I am. I wish I could go to my god and nuzzle his nose with mine, making a small, rumbling sound and patting his cheek with my paw, er, hand.
    Perhaps I'll try.
    Happy morning, world.

    linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Linda ~

    You apparently grasped, in addition to kitty clumps, the message of my “Sacred Moments” post. There, in the cat closet, you embraced an instant of awareness. You recognized the larger picture beyond the litter scene. You tilted your head, took a different perspective, and saw Trust personified (felinified?). That’s beautiful.

    The furry critters expect to be cared for, trust that it will happen, and watch as it takes place. Their gratitude is then expressed by a purr in the belly and a paw to your cheek. I’ll bet there are times when they, too, feel afraid. I know I do. But they choose to count on love. What a lesson they are imparting!

    Oh, Linda, your god is no farther from your nose than the air you inhale through it. Go ahead and nuzzle. Your god’s cheek is the same one you see in the mirror. Pat it as you listen to Karen Drucker’s “The Face of God” posted at the bottom of this page.

    Thank you for sharing. I am touched by your openness, and I am encouraged by your strength to carry on and declare to the world your efforts.

    Expect, trust, and watch it happen--no matter what your need.

    Be enlightened! ~ M

    ReplyDelete