Search Posts

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Responsibility vs. Reactibility


The physical body can either respond or react to external stimuli—a new medication, for example. If it responds, a previously irritating condition is likely soothed. The course of treatment is desirable. Conversely, having a reaction indicates an adverse encounter; something is rebelling against another. To react is a response of opposition; it is unfavorable.

The emotional body experiences similar phenomena. When we encounter the behavior of another, either we respond or we react. To respond is a result of careful consideration and focused intention. To respond is to act in a controlled and favorable manner. To react, on the other hand, is to be in opposition, like a rebellious child. This mode of being will likely exacerbate agitation and yield unfavorable results.

When I find myself responding to life’s situations, I know I am taking healthy responsibility for my adult self. When I find myself reacting, it is a signal that I need to change course because to be in a state of reactibility is an undesirable mode of being.

Be enlightened!  ~ M

No comments:

Post a Comment